Thoughts, links & ideas from the 2008 National Teacher of the Year

Each time I've taken off in a plane since May (which is a lot), I've been writing in my journal, then adding these journal entries on this blog.

Check in often, or subscribe to get headlines fed to you! Oh, and the views expressed here are not those of anyone but me.  And anyone who happens to share the same views, I guess.

(Note: the blue posted dates are actually the dates I wrote the journal entries, not when I posted them online.)

Monday, May 12, 2008

Rent-A-Child

WASHINGTON D.C.

I think after this gig is over I'm going to open a national chain called 'Rent-A-Child.'  I've realized that I'm pretty much dead without them.  They give me so much energy (and at the same time wear me out!)  I've noticed that while walking through airports, I light up when I see kids.  I think I need to pack one with me in my carry-on bag.

This morning I was hurtin'.  I need a good cup of Jo, or Aspen, or any little person under 4 1/2 feet tall.  Jon Quam [the NTOY director] just wasn't doin' it for me this morning.  But he did remind me that the quicker I get to the stories, the more passionate and memorable my message becomes.  It brings the kids along with me!

That's one thing they seem to be missing around the Dept. of Education: kids and their stories.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I actually rent a kid this past weekend to see how much work takes to be a mom.

    I realized that is a lot.. but i love kids..

    He is 2 years old, and during one day gave me a lot of life and energy....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to question, disagree, challenge, or make suggestions! I'm a big boy. I can take it.