Thoughts, links & ideas from the 2008 National Teacher of the Year

Each time I've taken off in a plane since May (which is a lot), I've been writing in my journal, then adding these journal entries on this blog.

Check in often, or subscribe to get headlines fed to you! Oh, and the views expressed here are not those of anyone but me.  And anyone who happens to share the same views, I guess.

(Note: the blue posted dates are actually the dates I wrote the journal entries, not when I posted them online.)

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Procrastination

Chicago, IL

 

Got some much needed rest my first night in Chicago.  Slept in until 11am.  Back to my normal 3 ½ hours last night, though.

 

I have this pesky habit of procrastinating the preparation of my presentations until the pm previous.  (Holy alliteration, Batman!  Didn’t mean to do that until halfway through, at which time there arose a moral imperative to plow onward.)  And then when I realize that I’m getting tired of saying the same things for a few presentations, or that this particular group is unique in what they might need to hear, I start on a new direction, theme or idea.  And since I’m a bit of a perfectionist, this leads to some late nights.

 

But the presentations stay fresh this way, and each group ends up with something fairly unique, and the only one who really suffers is me.  Luckily, I’ve only got a few months left, and then it’s back to teaching middle school.  I’ll get more sleep then.  Or perhaps I can sleep when I die.

 

In other news, I met a beautiful lady today who is 91 years old.  And she is still teaching!  Mary Beth has been teaching young children for 70 years now, and from what I could tell of her, she’s still effective in the classroom.  That’s incredible!

 

If I’m ever going to make it that long, I’m going to need to get more sleep.  I’ve got a 49-minute flight ahead of me.  Looks like it’s time to make yet another small deposit in my sleep account…

 


1 comment:

  1. Miguel-
    You are just the one who needs pzizz!
    I have it and can hook you up with a sample...
    Let's cross paths promptly, please-
    Paul B.

    p.s. Sorry for the relative silence! Spring Break means I am surfing from home, where the pesky filters aren't around to block me from commenting on your posts. I have enjoyed reading them!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to question, disagree, challenge, or make suggestions! I'm a big boy. I can take it.