Thoughts, links & ideas from the 2008 National Teacher of the Year

Each time I've taken off in a plane since May (which is a lot), I've been writing in my journal, then adding these journal entries on this blog.

Check in often, or subscribe to get headlines fed to you! Oh, and the views expressed here are not those of anyone but me.  And anyone who happens to share the same views, I guess.

(Note: the blue posted dates are actually the dates I wrote the journal entries, not when I posted them online.)

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bleak

Redmond, OR

 

Things are looking grim around here for kids.  Prineville schools have now cut all spring sports, outdoor school, music positions, and are likely going to cut even more days off the school year (we’re currently cutting ten.)  


Redmond schools (where my own children go) are closing the alternative high school because the students haven’t met test benchmarks, shifting principals out of schools because test scores are purportedly not rising fast enough, and have apparently even floated the idea of cutting all other classes besides “core” classes (like physical education, art, music, etc.) and letting students out early to balance their budget next year.

 

Who knows what it will look like, or what mitigating effects the stimulus bill might have, but whatever happens, it’s not looking good for children, parents, educators, or our collective future.

 

[editor’s note: congress just passed the stimulus package, which will hopefully infuse money to ameliorate some of these cuts.  It’s unclear at this point what will happen.  In the meantime, Prineville has rallied around the sports program and is determined to have at least something available for their kids.]

 


2 comments:

  1. I was hoping super hero Teacher of the year Gui would have some ins to save the day...but this is even bigger than super heros.

    Guess next year will be even worse with the 'ole balancing budget trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're hearing that it's going to be a tough road ahead for the next four years.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to question, disagree, challenge, or make suggestions! I'm a big boy. I can take it.