Thoughts, links & ideas from the 2008 National Teacher of the Year

Each time I've taken off in a plane since May (which is a lot), I've been writing in my journal, then adding these journal entries on this blog.

Check in often, or subscribe to get headlines fed to you! Oh, and the views expressed here are not those of anyone but me.  And anyone who happens to share the same views, I guess.

(Note: the blue posted dates are actually the dates I wrote the journal entries, not when I posted them online.)

Thursday, November 6, 2008

An Historic Night

Washington, D.C.

 

(Sigh of relief…)

 

The results are in, and history has been made.  Barack Obama will be the first African-American President of the United States.  But more important than the color of his skin is the content of his character.  While both candidates were men of exceptional character, I am excited to have a president who takes a bigger picture view and longer-term approach to solving complex issues we face as a nation.  I look forward to the level of respect we will return to in the world, the intelligent and reasonable discourse in which I hope to participate, and the hope for more optimistic future for my children.  We’ll see what can be done.

 

I was highly impressed by both McCain’s concession speech and Obama’s acceptance speech.  They were gracious, civil, hopeful and optimistic.  I’m not normally moved by politician’s words, but that night was an exception.  After an oftentimes ugly campaign, I was proud to be an American.

 

I was less proud, however, the following day when I heard of the same bickering, finger-pointing, and blatant racism that we heard during the past months.  On talk radio, TV, and in opinion letters, many Americans took the low road and opted for low levels of civility.  I hope that both Obama and McCain continue to model grace, respect and optimism about the results.

 

I also hope that, given my position of Teacher of the Year, I’ll get a chance to meet our new President.  We’ll see what I can do.  I’ll have my people start working on it…


1 comment:

  1. When you meet him, you'll have to request plenty of space for your entourage! Maybe it would be easier to invite him to come to oregon to meet you...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to question, disagree, challenge, or make suggestions! I'm a big boy. I can take it.