Thoughts, links & ideas from the 2008 National Teacher of the Year

Each time I've taken off in a plane since May (which is a lot), I've been writing in my journal, then adding these journal entries on this blog.

Check in often, or subscribe to get headlines fed to you! Oh, and the views expressed here are not those of anyone but me.  And anyone who happens to share the same views, I guess.

(Note: the blue posted dates are actually the dates I wrote the journal entries, not when I posted them online.)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Pearl

Memphis, TN

 

Just finished reading “The Pearl” for the first time since high school.  Steinbeck is amazing.  I find both comfort and strife in his writing style, and his themes are powerful.  I’m pretty sure I appreciate him more now than I did in school.

 

Of course, at the end of the story, one must ask “What, if anything, is my pearl?”  Was being awarded National Teacher of the Year akin to Kino stumbling upon the Pearl of Great Price?  Will it affect me in the same ways?  At the end of all this, will Jen and I stand, exhausted, at the edge of the sea and toss it back where it came from?

 

Okay, maybe a bit of a stretch for an analogy, but it had to be made.  I’m ready to move on now.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to question, disagree, challenge, or make suggestions! I'm a big boy. I can take it.