Thoughts, links & ideas from the 2008 National Teacher of the Year

Each time I've taken off in a plane since May (which is a lot), I've been writing in my journal, then adding these journal entries on this blog.

Check in often, or subscribe to get headlines fed to you! Oh, and the views expressed here are not those of anyone but me.  And anyone who happens to share the same views, I guess.

(Note: the blue posted dates are actually the dates I wrote the journal entries, not when I posted them online.)

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Precious Times

Seattle, WA

 

Holy smokes, I’m tired.  Getting up at 3:30 this morning was not on my list of things to do today.  That’s only 6:30am Eastern Time, but I haven’t been in that time zone for a full week now!  (A new record!)

 

We’re calling the Seattle area home for the next few weeks as we spend time with our families and friends near where we grew up.  We celebrated my dad’s birthday (he just turned 40 or so), and tomorrow we’ll celebrate our friend Lil’s 100th birthday!  Except I won’t be there, I’ll be back on Eastern time, 3000 miles away.


As John Candy’s character from Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Del Griffith) says, “those are the precious times… they don’t come back.”  I have a feeling there will be a few of those this year.


Aspen told me today that he didn’t want to be a teacher when he grows up because he “might get teacher of the year, and then he’d have to be gone all the time giving speaks.”

 

My heart hurts for that little guy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to question, disagree, challenge, or make suggestions! I'm a big boy. I can take it.